Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Group thinking

Yesterday, I read a column of Roos Vonk in the Intermediair about Group thinking. Her statement is that it is not true to think that a group will come to a better decision (because multiple people know more than just one). Apparently, the need to reach a consensus is often in a group stronger than reaching the correct decision.

I really liked the column because it shows really how a group decision taking process is in practice. I recognized the situation that someone in a group (meeting) is considered as being 'difficult' when he or she ask (critical) questions or tries to bring in alternatives. Or that the group nearly reached a consensus / decision, and someone doesn't agree which evokes a reaction of the other group members 'don't start being difficult now we have almost reached agreement!'. I have to admit, I also have had that thought sometimes.

To support the group decision, the group members think 'everyone agrees, so that will be the right decision'. It is not often that someone says 'I don't understand'.

Reading this column, I was kind of glad that I do (try to) ask questions if I don't understand the arguments or situation. Perhaps we should all say 'I don't understand' more often!

No comments: